Friday, November 12, 2010

Ms. Stephanie, Elementary Teacher

To be an elementary teacher is an unique profession. Do you remember the days when you were once an elementary student? Well I do. There was a distinct smell in the air. One of snot, spilled milk, dirt, and freshly sharpened pencils.

Now, as a teacher these smells still evoke strong emotions, but perhaps of a different kind. It still reminds me that I have work to do. It still makes me feel young. But most importantly it reminds me that I am in charge of 20 little ones; academically, socially, emotionally, and physically.

Sometimes I have to stop and smile. I can honestly say that I have such a great group of kids. Although sometimes they make me want to pull my hair out, I can appreciate each one of them for what they teach me.

I used to think that elementary teachers taught elementary because they were not smart enough to teach something more ´´difficult´´. Boy, was I wrong. Being an elementary teacher is quite challenging. There is so much to think about, prepare for, and check.

To keep my sanity, however, I remember to still participate in my favorite hobbies; going to the gym, learning new languages, writing, and playing the guitar. These help me to be ready for the next time one of my kids has a scraped knee, has had their pencil stolen, or doesn´t understand what to do.

Yes, the smell of snot, spilled milk, dirt, and freshly sharpened pencils reminds me that I am Ms. Stephanie, third grade teacher to twenty wonderfully unique boys and girls.


No comments:

Post a Comment