Sunday, June 17, 2012

Twelve in 2012 (and final in Mexico)


We are only half way through the calendar year and I’ve already reached my goal… 12 in 2012!  Sadly, however, I will not be running races every weekend once I return back to California since the cost for each race will be about six times as much as they are here in Mexico.  I will, however, still race because it is too fun not to!

Today’s 10k was only okay for me.  The first thing that was different this time around was that I didn’t eat my usual half of a granola bar with peanut butter because I didn’t have any granola bars in my pantry.  The next thing that went wrong is that I started the race way too fast to hold the pace the entire 6.2 miles.  Then, I had a side stitch about halfway through.  Finally, I was zapped of energy because I was tossing and turning the night before.

Although this was not my best 10k ever, I am still happy that I gave it all that I had.  A part of me didn’t mind taking it a little slower than normal because I wanted to enjoy every last moment of my last race in Mexico.  In a mere 4 days I will be leaving Torreon, Mexico in search of a job back home in California.  Many have asked, “Are you sad?”  The answer is that it’s bittersweet.  I am overjoyed to be going back home with loved ones, but I will miss so many things here in Torreon.

A wonderful gift from God was being able to run into Alejandro one more time before leaving Torreon.  In the final two kilometers Alejandro ran up behind me and said, “Animo California.”  Shocked I turned and saw Alejandro’s bright and smiling face.  Once we crossed the finish line he gave me a gift (his bag from the desert run he ran at the end of May) and we took one final picture together.  Some people have an everlasting impact on your life.  This is true about Alejandro.
Alejandro and I first met during the marathon in March 2012.

Now that my races here in Mexico are finished it’s time to focus my attention on my training for the Nike Women’s Marathon in San Francisco.  I am so stoked to return to California, meet my team, and train with them for this event.  I am also really excited that this is my first race for charity.  I will be running the Nike Women’s Marathon to raise funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  

The person I am honoring in my Leukemia and Lymphoma Society run is my Uncle Gene who has so bravely fought his battle with cancer.  He is amazingly resilient and adventurous.

Uncle Gene writes about paragliding, “The Great thing about flying is, I think that sometimes I get so high and the views are so majestic that I look up and just give thanks. From that altitude, I think there is a better chance of Him hearing me.”

Please donate to my efforts of raising lifesaving funds to fight the battle with cancer.  Together we can and will find a cure.  Please help! You may donate to my event at: http://pages.teamintraining.org/sac/nikesf12/strongwells

No comments:

Post a Comment